NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?
NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

Thursday, November 3, 2011

More Travel Tales: Jerusalem and an Update on Sir Poops

Update on Sir Poops: Right now, he’s on the sofa watching the Early Show. This morning he hobbled-ran outside to do his business. He definitely doesn’t like diapers. I can’t blame him. Laying around in pee for several hours doesn’t appeal to me either.

Anyway, Sir Poops is back to his happy, chatty self. He’s eating, drinking, and hobbling around. He’s still unable to walk great distances so for the most part, I’m still carrying him where he wants to go. Sofa. Upstairs. To the bed. Car. Who knows, he may talk me into buying him a stroller.

His front left paw and the left back leg still drag though, but he seems much better.

Okay. Off to Jerusalem.

After we drove through the Negev and the Judean desert our car over heated right when we entered Jerusalem. It’s get up and go, got up and went. Our friend Daniella coasted us through the city somewhere behind the Cardo.

DSC01393

The picture below is somewhere behind the Cardo. By this time, my head felt like it was going to explode and my clothes were clinging to me. And, Sweetman had completely morphed into Mr. Hyde.

DSC01396

Our first stop once inside the Cardo was a falafel stand. Sorry, no pics. Sweetman was baring fangs. It was a scary sight.

“We need to hurry,” he said. “We’re not stopping to look at everything.”

“But aren’t we going to The Wall to say our prayers?” I asked.

“Yes, but quickly.” He pulled me to the falafel counter. “Daniella’s car isn’t in good condition.”

The guy was putting fried potatoes on our sandwiches. I don’t like fried anything other than the chickpea balls.

We paid for and grab our sandwiches. I picked out the greasy potatoes and dropped them in the nearest garbage can on our way to a vacant table.

Sweetman gobbles his falafel monster-style. The contents are dripping down his chin onto his shirt.

“Can I get a fork?” I don’t want my food running down the front of me.

Sweetman’s eyes bulge and he puts the remnants of his sandwich down. “They don’t have any.”

“How do you know? Did you ask?”

He pushes himself away from the table, metal scraping the concrete. He rushes back to the falafel counter. The guy is gone. Smoke is bellowing out of his head.

“He’s not there,” Sweetman growled.

“He’ll be back.” Tears welled in my eyes.

Sweetman faced the counter, turned back around, and walked back to our table with a fork. “What are you crying about? Here.” He handed me a plastic fork.

“You’re being nasty. Just wait til I post this story on my blog.”

“Hurry up and eat. We don’t have all day,” he said.

After our meal, Sweetman rushed us through the following:

The Cardo

DSC01397

DSC01399

DSC01400

DSC01403

Outside the Cardo

DSC01405

 

DSC01406The Rock of the Dome is in there. Depending on how many squirrels have crawled up the Muslim’s behinds determines whether or not you’re allowed in.

DSC01408

DSC01409 The Mount of Olives, a city of graves.

DSC01410

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC01411

 

By the Wailing Wall

DSC01412

 

DSC01416

DSC01421

The Wall is divided. There’s the women's side and the men's side.

DSC01420

DSC01417

DSC01419

People cram their prayers into the cracks of The Wall. I did some of my own prayer-cramming.

DSC01418

Plus, vegetation grows out of The Wall. How cool is that.

DSC01423

Before I left I caught a Muslim and an Orthodox on the men’s side praying side-by-side. Talk about a complex society.

 

DSC01422

   Inside of the Cardo again.

DSC01426

Outside the Cardo.

DSC01427

DSC01428

DSC01429

A man’s head lies in the grave below for not following orders.

DSC01430

And, his body lies in this one below. I forget the story but remember he was ordered to stop construction, refused, and pissed off the British royalty so he lost his head over it.

DSC01431

Jafa Gate

DSC01433

This concludes today’s post. Hope you all have a great day!

See you later in the ink!

Shelly

13 comments:

  1. More fabulous pictures! Still jealous. Thanks for sharing :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I hope your prayers come true. Nice pictures of a fascinating place.
    P.S. I'm sure glad Poopsie is feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics. How did "Sweetman" make things up to you--wait. Don't answer that!

    Good to hear about Poopsy. Animals deal with their pain and problems a lot differently than we do. I remember my dog after having been hit by a truck. It broke her hip. It took a while, but she got back in the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! that the dog is doing better. I'm curious about "chick pea balls." What is the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarah: I hope you don't stay jealous.

    @Evie: I hope my prayers come true, too.

    @Lorelei: Yes. I've noticed how differently he's handling his pain. Talk about bouncing back.

    @Don: Google falafel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! So glad Sir is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, yes! for Sir Poops A Lot. I'm still hoping for a full recovery.
    Wonderful pictures. I cannot imagine standing at the Wailing Wall. What great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know he's doing better. Thank you for posting the pictures; so many places I've covered in my writings, and there you have it right in front of you.

    I've actually gotten to prefer calling it the Kotel rather then the Western Wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures. And I am so happy your pooper is back to his normal self. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lynn: Thank you for stopping by.

    @William: It's my pleasure to share the experience. In person, it's totally awesome.

    @Laila: Thank you for stopping buy and Sir Poops appreciates everytone's positive thoughts and energy.

    Thank you everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pictures as always. I'm glad SPAL is feeling a little better. I hope he has a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures. My sister and her husband went there not long ago. Especially living in Alaska where 1950s architecture is old, places like that amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Jolene: I'd love to visit Alaska one day.

    @Tonja: Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.