NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?
NEED A GREAT COVER ARTIST?

Friday, April 15, 2011

M is for Mea Culpa

Wiki-pedia states: Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that translates into English as "my mistake" or "my fault". To emphasize the message, the adjective "maxima" may be inserted, resulting in "mea maxima culpa," which would translate as "my most [grievous] fault."

We all have them. Faults. Bad habits. As writers we need to expel them from our writings. Not the most easiest task when you can’t seem to absorb certain rules. And yes, this happens. Sweetman calls it Alzheimer's. I call it a mental block.

No matter how many self-help books I read or, how many writing seminars I attend, there are still some things I haven’t grasped, yet. OMG! I drive myself insane repeating the same stupid mistakes.

How about any of you? Is there still something amif in your writing? Something you can’t seem to hold onto that you need to apply to your work?

Admit it, guys. It’s the first step to fixing the problems with our writing.

So, I’ll leave you all with something to meditate on, Enigma's version of Mea Culpa.

Happy blogging, reading, and writing!

Shelly

10 comments:

  1. Thank you much, Miss Giggles.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well deserved award, Shelly. You can't be that much at fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Enigma too...and yes, you may not be at fault, but you are an enigma. LOL
    Congrats on the award I thought you already had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excessive amount of using the word now would be mine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Eve: You're always so sweet. Thank you.

    @William: Yeah. I repeat words, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the award Shelly, you deserve it.

    I do more telling than showing - no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to stop!

    A xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Lady A...You know what helps me is this. If you see a filter word: hear, see, feel, thought, wonder then you can show what your character is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the hardest time making my characters seem real and unique.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Joyce:

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.